Friday, January 3, 2014

Days 15 & 16.1 - Big Apple in Lock Down

Day 15 - 2 January 2014
Peter, Sue & the boys got away early to catch the train Washington, they are to visit Barack and Michelle and I moved from the apartment over to The Milford Plaza Hotel.  I was still feeling a little off colour, slept for about 3 hours in the afternoon and felt a whole lot better after that.

Overnight from Jan 2nd through to Jan 3rd NYC has pretty much been in lockdown due to a big winter storm. Apparently there have been 2x storm systems that joined together making one big massive storm. There has been 24 hour+ coverage on quite a few TV stations just going over and over and over the same thing. They were reporting that there were 1700 snow plows to be working over night, schools to be closed tomorrow.


Day 16.1 - 3 January 2014
Happy Birthday to the fabulous Kirsty Scurry (Carrick)

After a pretty poor sleep last night, I woke up to this view from my window.

And then I moved rooms and got these views. All snow capped.
 

The storm was really on a 12-14 hour period over night, it is all clearing now, of course there is heaps of snow about, but they are reporting that the wind chill is going to be more the issue and are advising people to stay indoors where ever possible to avoid frost bite. Maximum today is to be around -8 deg's C with the minimum being -14 deg's C.


 
Nativity Set - Just for you Shirl.

During the night I had an email from the wonderful Shell Bell, she was in the Emirates lounge in Dubai en route to New York, according to the JFK website her flight has landed.  She should be here in the next hour to hour and a half I think.
 
I have been out and about to post some items back home (Jenny, they are coming to you, expect in about 10 or so days).  Fedex were going to charge me $280+, US Postal System charged me $65, there is no comparison.

Plus I got a show in the Post Office. I was privy to listening to a woman going off her rocker to absolutely no-one, I didn't want to make eye contact with her incase she turned her tirade to me, mind you no one seemed to bat an eyelid to it, so it is probably just the norm in this big city.  She kept on saying amongst other things "I'm white and you're treating me like a nigger, making me use the body scanner".  Now, I don't know where this body scanner was cause I certainly didn't see one. She was going on for about a minute and a half at the top of her voice and then she went on her merry way. She blew in and out just like last nights storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment