Monday, January 13, 2014

Day 19 – Navigating Nassau (The Bahamas)


Today we had the morning in the port of Nassau. On the recommendation of Sheldon our ‘stateroom attendant’ (fancy name for our lovely cabin boy) we didn’t venture beyond the town of Nassau.  We could have gone to Atlantis, which is a resort that has outstanding water parks etc, but to enter it’s about $100 per head, daylight robbery for a family of 5 for a few hours.
 
The Atlantis resort we never went to (view from our wharf)
 

Weather was just pleasant, not too hot and humid, a little bit sticky but very bareable. Boys got a new rashie each and I had to invest in a new pair of sunglasses as I couldn’t locate my $4 pair of Bali knock off sunnies. Think I must have left them in New York, who knows?

There is no tax in Nassau.  I purchased a bottle of perfume for $90, to purchase the same perfume duty free in Australia still costs about $120, so I was stoked with this deal.  Also bought a Shiseido eye cream for $54 also a great bargain.  I was delighted with my purchases, great deals I felt.
 
There were a few sets of stop lights in sleepy Nassau that I saw, but at what appeared to be the main intersection where there were lights was also this lovely chap (crisp uniform and all) planted in his box bang smack in the middle of the intersection.  I don't know if it just as a tourist attraction or for real, but what a good photo op.  I'd like to see him directing the traffic in his box in a bustling Asian city where road rules don't seem to apply. I reckon that'd stuff him up!!!
 
 
We came back to the ship and had lunch on board.  After that all the adults retired for an afternoon sleep. I think I slept for about 3 hours straight. Unheard of for me, although probably the motion of the ship rocking and rolling ever so slightly helped for me to nod off.

Tonight’s entertainment was an ice skating show. It was pretty good.  I think I may have picked up some tips. I reckon next time I’m going to ice skate I will be a pro.
 
 

 

At dinner time the boys went their own way and helped themselves to buffet food.  Mackenzie even had 4 serves of sweets, and he was trying to devour them before his plates were cleared so he wasn’t “judged”.  Us adults hit Adagio again.  Once again absolutely perfection for mass produced food.

Peter and Sue hit some bars and clubs. I hit my bed.
 
Our home for the week - Allure of the Seas, the largest Cruise Ship in the World
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment