Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day 17 - Better attempt at ice skating


Shell and I headed out for the day, and what a lengthy full on day she was.  Started off with breakfast at Applebee’s in the Times Square area.  When then hot footed it a couple of blocks over to Bryant Park for a spot of ice skating and market wandering.

 
 
You may all recall from my Christmas Day blog that my attempt at ice skating was exceptionally pathetic.  Well I can tell you that his was only slightly better.  We did the skating at Bryant Park as opposed to Central Park.  Rink was about half the size, crowds/queues were non existent (but that has been the case anywhere since the day after New Year’s Day).  I racked up 3 circuits, and NO FALLS, so overall a far better effort than my ice skating attempt at Central Park
 
Then we wandered the winter markets at Bryant Park, it was their last day of operation so we were lucky.  Saw all sorts of weird and wonderful things, Shell invested in a second pair of gloves, a fleece beanie and ear muffs.  She couldn’t hear me once those muffs were on.  Shelley also introduced me to Hot Apple Cider at the winter markets, the thought of it made me gag, the taste of it is just delightful. I now have a new winter favourite. Yum ‘O.

 
We left the market and wandered back up to Times Square and into Sephora (a huge girly shop, make up, skin care etc).  From there we grabbed a slice of pizza near our hotel for lunch, before we knew it, it was time for our 2pm matinee show of the Broadway show Kinky Boots, it was excellent. There was one drag queen in the show that reminded us of a girl we went to school with.  (For those of you in the know, think of the solo dance routine performed at the school disco held at the 8th St basketball stadium to the Joe Cocker Song “You Can Leave Your Hat On” – Got it, you know who I’m talking about right?).  Anyway the show was great. All I can say is, it’s annoying enough just shaving one’s legs, I can’t imagine what these drag queens need to go through with their primping and prepping to get themselves female ready.
 
As it turned out the theatre was visible from our hotel and is just around the corner, so we legged it back to the hotel for a shower and change before dinner.  Now let me tell you about dinner.

The lovely Miss Shell shouted me dinner at Nobu in Tribeca for my birthday present from October (Robert De Niro has some kind of association with Nobu).  And OMG, that meal was out of this world, just de’lish. Shell Bell, I know I’ve thanked you in person, but once again, a huge thank you for a wonderful and memorable dinner at the original Nobu restaurant. Perfection, spoilt rotten I am.

We then cabbed it back to our hotel, Shell had a little kip on the way and then it was pack up time once we got back to the room, there is no fun in the pack up, it’s amazing how in 2 nights you end up with so much packing and re-organising to do.  Finally head down around 11.30pm.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment