Sunday, January 19, 2014

Day 31 - On the road again

Being the adventurous types that we are (and you can tell just how adventurous we are considering how many times I've blogged as to how early we've been in bed), today we decided to do a road trip around the island.  Ideally we wanted to hire a driver and a car, but at $92 (+tax) an hour, we weren't interested in that.  Chrissy god bless her, volunteered to drive. So at 7am we are at the rental car place picking up our trusty Chevrolet Equinox SUV.

It was a bit of a group effort, Chris was the driver, Shelley the GPS operator and navigator, I was the back seat passenger telling Chris if it was (or was not) safe to change lanes etc. Between us all we got the job done, but really all the praise goes to Chris followed very closely by Shell for ferrying us around and returning us home safely.

The main object of the road trip was to tick a bucket list item off Chrissy's list.  To see the North Shore waves and surfers with a huge swell. Let me tell you, Chris was not disappointed with what she saw. At Sunset Beach there was some junior pro surfing competition going on and we watched that for a little while. We did joke and thought perhaps it's time to leave as we may have been perceived as creepy old ladies watching the young surfers.

Then we drove down the road a little bit to Pipeline Beach and watched for a little while there. There were plenty of people out with their massive lensed cameras. Although I hear that the waves and swell have been exceptional (what would I know, I'm only going by what I've heard!!) so I wondered if any of these photographers sell their photos to surfing magazines etc (probably do).

I don't know what constitutes a good surf photo from a bad one?  These 4 I thought looked OK, so I am happy to share with you.

 
 


I don't think this chap had a very successful day?
 
 
 Surf boards for sale
 
Now this is cool, check out the fire truck with the Long Boards on top
 
This little cutie pie had come along for some beach frivolity with his parents
 
 Check it out, Chris in her element
 
Then we pulled into the gorgeous little town of Heliewa (supposedly a famous town for the surfing fraternity in the know).  We also stopped at this little gem  called Kono's Pig for lunch.  The place was tiny but obviously big on popularity (the lady behind the counter did tell us that Kono's Pig was famous) we arrived just in time for once, but as we left there was a queue out the door and the place was packed.
 

Shell and I eating the famous Pulled Pork Sandwich
 
When we left Haliewa I can't tell you what happened.  I needed a bit of shut eye, I'd woken with a bit of a stuffed up head (thanks to the bastards on the plane, we had quite a coughy plane ride to Hawaii, it seemed as though every one was couhing) so I assume I picked up some kind of dreaded lurgie from the plane and I needed to rest.  I woke up somewhere around this little island called Chinaman's Hat for obvious reasons. Where a bit of photo tom foolery was just begging to happen.
 
 
 

We continued on around this beautiful island taking in the sights, I have included some pics for your pleasure:





 
We arrived back to drop off the hire care around 4.30pm.  We felt as if we had driven from Geraldton to Perth and return, but in actuality, speed limit was 35 miles per hour (round that to 56km/hr), we had only travelled 130km for the entire day.  It was a long day and Chris was stoked to get out from behind the drivers wheel, the pressure was finally off for her (wrong side of car and wrong side of road driving).
 
We headed home, decompressed for a little bit and then tried to find somewhere for dinner.  Long weekend here so the place is packed.  We ended up at some dodgy Chinese restaurant, food was nice, the service was terrible, they had automatically included the price of the tip on the bill, we counted that tip out to the exact cent. We weren't prepared to give them an extra cent.  Late night tonight, we were back in the hotel room about 8.50pm!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment